Amanda-Users

Re: e2fsck question

2009-04-20 00:44:06
Subject: Re: e2fsck question
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 19:33:48 -0400
On Sunday 19 April 2009, Onotsky, Steve x55328 wrote:
>If you have any diagnostic programs that came with your system, you
>might want to run a surface scan and see what comes back from that.
>Sometimes the act of restarting the system (especially from a cold
>start) is enough to flush whatever cruft is in memory, cache, etc.
>
>Just a thought...

Since its not part of the normal system, it can be umount'ed and mount'ed
again without a reboot, which if the journal is stale, should clean that up &
maybe even force an e2fsck.  It didn't, so this time I'm having
 "e2fsck -c -c -o /badblocks /dev/sdc1".
So its been walking through that drive at about 110M/S doing a non-destructive
read/write/check read/restore original data.

But it will be about 36 hours at the present rate.  25.4% in 9:01:00 elasped
time.  It hasn't found an error so far since /badblocks has even been created
yet.  Or maybe it doesn't when e2fsck runs it.

[...]

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Windows is a pane in the ASCII.