Amanda-Users

Re: The Coyote Den AMANDA MAIL REPORT FOR April 10, 2009

2009-04-12 22:29:43
Subject: Re: The Coyote Den AMANDA MAIL REPORT FOR April 10, 2009
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2009 22:20:35 -0400
wrote:
>> Coming right up.  And up till it says FAILED QUEUE, nothing seems too
>> unusual here either.   Weirdsville.  I should trim the top 90% of this,
>> but maybe there might be a clue, so...
>
>Jean-Louis, there were some nearby changes around 3/30/09:
>
> http://github.com/zmanda/amanda/commit/b3e8036688ebdaef903b372ef30ea09d8058
>960a
>
>Any relationship?
>
>Dustin

Slim possibility I suppose, although up to 0319 seemed ok other than the
symptoms of tar ignoring '--no-device-check' may have snuck in a bit earlier.
But I was all caught up by the time I'd tested 0327 and it had worked, then
0330->up bombed.  I looked at the patch, and my, I must say that looks like a
fairly major re-write.  Any chance one of those 64 long longs is getting
'union'ized by accident?  I've used a union a few times in my old code, but it
seems to quadruple the attention to housekeeping required.

I was getting lazy (sorry) and hadn't been building every snapshot, and had
skipped maybe 2 out of 3 for a while as I was concentrating on getting a
bluetooth usb dongle working.  Got that finally, then the woof asks me if can
I build a rhumba box like we saw a stroke victim playing at the senior center
thursday, & I was dumb enough to say yes. :)  Only this one is bigger by quite
a bit than anything I found plans for on the net.  My version will be a wee
bit stronger I think, rather than just a 3/8 strip for a glue block inside to
glue the 5.2mm plywood edge to edge, I'm putting in a strip of cherry that is
rabbeted so the plywood edges are hidden.  That should give a more durable
corner for wear and tear.  The sound is made by a length of steel lumber
strapping held in a wooden strip glued & screwed to the front face, each one a
different length for tuning, with the ends covered by some sort of wide scotch
88 type tape so the player doesn't get cut fingers.  I ought to have a lot of
fun tuning that against one of my crystal controlled keyboards. :)  Closely
miked, it sounds amazingly like a big standup Bass fiddle being slap plucked.
But I haven't figured out how to bow those straps.  The bro-in-law had a
stroke and lost his right side about 5 years ago, and he was at the time, an
accomplished Bass player in high demand around Ithaca NY where they live.  He,
I hope, might enjoy this.

Nothing to do with amanda though.  When I get it done, I'll put some pix I've
been taking all along up on my web page at <http://gene.homelinux.net:85/gene>
That is this machine, vz's TOS is ignored.

Can I supply anything else from the logs?

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
"The lesser of two evils -- is evil."
-- Seymour (Sy) Leon