Amanda-Users

Re: The Coyote Den AMANDA MAIL REPORT FOR April 10, 2009

2009-04-10 18:34:31
Subject: Re: The Coyote Den AMANDA MAIL REPORT FOR April 10, 2009
From: Paul Yeatman <pyeatman AT zmanda DOT com>
To: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 14:50:59 -0700
On Fri, 2009-04-10 at 15:26 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Friday 10 April 2009, Dustin J. Mitchell wrote:
> >On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 1:54 PM, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT
> >net>
> wrote:
> >> Dustin;  It is looking like its catching up, after several runs with
> >> intervening versions, it has caught up with whatever change made that made
> >> it think everything was new.  I don't believe it was device major/minors
> >> that did it, since when the first time I ran the 0331 version it was a
> >> total failure, not 'to big' failures like I have had with 0321 & newer
> >> till its caught up again.  Reverting to 0319 from 0331 made it run normal.
> >>  But every newer version has acted like the device mapper had moved all
> >> the disks around, and the option --no-device-check was being ignored.  So
> >> I have NDI what the real problem is/was.  I am continuing to build & test,
> >> 0327 is building now.
>
> You recall that when I went from 0319 to 0331, it wasn't this, it was a
> total,
> all results missing failure, and reverting to 0319 fixed that, so I believe I
> am looking at 2 distinct problems.
>
> >As in the past, this problem really exists between tar and the kernel,
> >so Amanda versions aren't relevant.  The one thing that you can check
> >for us (as opposed to for the kernel or tar developers) is that Amanda
> >is properly sending the --no-device-check to tar.  You should see this
> >either in your sendbackup debug logs or your runtar debug logs.
> >
> >Dustin
>
> I can see it in the htop report while its actively running, but haven't
> looked
> at the runtar debug logs yet, hang on.  Mummmmmmm, no runtar logs. I am
> running amgtar.
>
> From the htop screen: No, I can't show it, amgtar has finished all DLE's for
> this run, and the printer just spit out a normal report.
>
> I just grepped all the amgtar.*.debug files, and it is not noted in any of
> them.  This begins to quack like amgtar is ignoring that option?  Please say
> it isn't so...  If so, it seems like it should log that the option wasn't
> done, somehow.

If I'm following at all, for amgtar, you should be setting this as a
property field in your amgtar application section (in my case "yes")

        property "CHECK-DEVICE" "yes"

and it should be showing up in the amgtar.*.debug log as

1239319047.814503: amgtar: CHECK-DEVICE yes

Paul

--
Design Engineer
Zmanda, Inc.