Amanda-Users

Re: The Coyote Den AMANDA MAIL REPORT FOR April 10, 2009

2009-04-10 21:12:34
Subject: Re: The Coyote Den AMANDA MAIL REPORT FOR April 10, 2009
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 21:03:12 -0400
wrote:
>> It any event, I haven't hit the total failure of 0331 yet, so I will
>> proceed with the next one, 0330, as 0327 seemed to run normally.  Stay
>> tuned...
>
>OK, I'm glad you see the option in htop -- that's enough evidence for me.
>
>I know it's scripted, but there's not much to be gained from trying
>all of these different snapshots of Amanda -- very little differs
>between them, and this does not seem to be a repeatable error.

It was, maybe is.  After verifying that 0319 worked after 0331 failed, I put
0331 back and it failed again.  That is when I started trying to play catchup,
running every version in order.

>would suggest just using the latest and, if you have further failures,
>investigating those failures *without* changing any variables.
>
>Dustin

I'm glad you reminded me as I had built 0330 but hadn't installed it yet, and
there may be trouble in paradise, it took ancheck almost 15 seconds to wake up
the server:

[root@coyote amanda-2.6.2alpha-20090330]# make install;su amanda -c "amcheck
Daily"
[...]
Amanda Tape Server Host Check
-----------------------------
Holding disk /dumps: 345378816 kB disk space available, using 344866816 kB
slot 30:read label `Dailys-30', date `20090315011517'.
NOTE: skipping tape-writable test
Tape Dailys-30 label ok
Server check took 14.277 seconds

Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
Client check: 1 host checked in 1.856 seconds.  0 problems found.

(brought to you by Amanda 2.6.2alpha-20090330)

I have never seen it that slow, and gkrellm said the system was idle.

I'm going to let that run tonight just for S&G. :)

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Klatu barada nikto.