Amanda-Users

Re: The Coyote Den AMANDA MAIL REPORT FOR April 10, 2009

2009-04-13 21:05:57
Subject: Re: The Coyote Den AMANDA MAIL REPORT FOR April 10, 2009
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 20:54:06 -0400
On Monday 13 April 2009, Dustin J. Mitchell wrote:
>OK, after some logfile exchange off-list, I think we're onto something
>here.  The planner examines all DLEs to decide which incremental to
>promote, and selects coyote:/root.  It finishes its loop, and then
>goes to attempt to promote that dump:
>
>2792     if(dp_promote) {
>2793         one_est_t *level0_est = est_for_level(dp, 0);
>2794         dp = dp_promote;
>
>Sadly, dp is NULL on line 2793.  The fix is to use dp_promote instead
>of dp.  Jean-Louis, do you agree?  If so, please commit (I'm running
>off for the evening).

I'm not an expert but that does look as if it makes sense.  Where is the
closing '}' ?

>Also, Jean-Louis, I'm leaving the chasing-down of the CHECK-DEVICE
>question to you.
>
>Gene: thanks for working so hard on this, and my apologies if I seemed
>short with you.  In general, when you see something go wrong with
>Amanda, it's probably best to freeze everything and get to the bottom
>of it immediately.
>
>Dustin

Well, it did take several posts of the failure to get everybody's attention.
:)

Now to top that off, I'm getting emails from smartctl for the last few hours
telling me the amandatapes drive has one offline un-recoverable error.  So its
being subjected to a "smartchl -t long" test & I should be ready to ask it
what the hell in about another 40 minutes or so.  Its the newest drive, a 1TB.
I don't think its on the list of seagate drives that need fixed, its a MAXTOR
STM31000340AS.  I might have to crontab a badblocks run on it once a week. :(

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
A lot of people are afraid of heights.  Not me.  I'm afraid of widths.
                -- Steven Wright