Amanda-Users

Re: The Coyote Den AMANDA MAIL REPORT FOR April 10, 2009

2009-04-13 11:27:52
Subject: Re: The Coyote Den AMANDA MAIL REPORT FOR April 10, 2009
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 11:14:13 -0400
On Monday 13 April 2009, Dustin J. Mitchell wrote:
>On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 9:17 AM, Jean-Louis Martineau
>
><martineau AT zmanda DOT com> wrote:
>> Knowing which release failed is useful, but it is more useful if we can
>> find why it failed, can you post all debug files generated by a failed
>> run? From both amanda client and server.
>
>And, to pile on, please do *not* change things after this -- let's get
>a repeatable failure with the same variables.
>
>Dustin

The only thing I've changed in months (other than the data being backed up) is
the version running.  And that was a 'make install' by root, after unpacking
the tarball as amanda, in /home/amanda, and copying this file:
#!/bin/sh
# since I'm always forgetting to su amanda...
if [ `whoami` != 'amanda' ]; then
        echo
        echo "!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Warning !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
        echo "Amanda needs to be configured and built by the"
        echo "user amanda, but must be installed by user root."
        echo
        exit 1
fi
make clean
rm -f config.status config.cache
./configure --with-user=amanda \
        --with-group=disk \
        --with-owner=amanda \
        --with-gnu-ld \
        --prefix=/usr/local \
        --with-debugging=/tmp/amanda-dbg/ \
        --with-tape-server=coyote \
        --with-bsdtcp-security --with-amandahosts \
        --with-configdir=/usr/local/etc/amanda \
        --with-config=Daily \
        --with-gnutar=/bin/tar
echo "sleeping 5 seconds for reading configures warnings"
echo "a make as amanda will continue after..."
sleep 5
make
Into that tree and running it as amanda.  One of these days I'm gonna write me
a wrapper script for that one so it truly is all in one script.

Occasionally I go through the system and delete old amanda libs, for space
patrol reasons.  Ditto the src trees in /home/amanda.  Other than that its all
done as above.  Data of course does change, keeping the rest of the system
somewhere up to date etc.

FWIW, 0327 ran just fine last night.  This failure was from the 0411 snapshot.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
You will have long and healthy life.