Amanda-Users

Re: etimeout ignored?

2007-09-04 09:54:41
Subject: Re: etimeout ignored?
From: Paul Bijnens <Paul.Bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Ralf Auer <Ralf.Auer AT physik.uni-erlangen DOT de>, amanda List <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2007 15:55:22 +0200
On 2007-09-04 01:16, Ralf Auer wrote:

        I have a little problem with the 'etimeout' setting in my amanda.conf.
I have set 'etimeout' to 900. To my understanding this makes Amanda wait for 15
minutes per DLE and client, then a timeout should occur.
For some reason this value seems to be ignored here, because for my buisy
clients Amanda still waits for the estimates after several hours! The clients
have only two DLEs, so I would expect her to wait at max 30 Minutes, not more.

I'm using 2.5.2p1 version, everything else is doing fine, nothing special to be
found in the log-files.

Any ideas what I could have done wrong?

I'm running 2.5.2p1 as well, and can assure that etimeout did work in
my config.  I had it set to 900 seconds, and last month had an etimeout
occur on a host with 4 DLE's after 3600 seconds (irony was that the
estimate took 3604 seconds -- 4 seconds too late!).

How did you came to the conclusion that the server still waits for the
estimates?  amstatus?  which output?  of just the fact that amanda is
still running? or...

Another frequent "monday-morning-no-coffee-yet" problem encountered is that you're looking at the wrong config file, or etimeout appears twice
in the config file.  Verify with:

  amgetconf daily etimeout

You can also set etimeout to a negative value, to avoid the multiplication of the number of DLE's by the etimeout value.

--
Paul Bijnens, xplanation Technology Services        Tel  +32 16 397.511
* I think I've got the hang of it now:  exit, ^D, ^C, ^\, ^Z, ^Q, ^^, *