Amanda-Users

Re: etimeout ignored?

2007-09-04 11:48:43
Subject: Re: etimeout ignored?
From: Paul Bijnens <Paul.Bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Ralf Auer <Ralf.Auer AT physik.uni-erlangen DOT de>
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2007 16:46:59 +0200
On 2007-09-04 16:13, Ralf Auer wrote:
Hi Paul,

a 'amgetconf NewSetup etimeout' returns '900'. So, it seems to be
configured correctly.

I came to the conclusion that my server still waits for the estimate by
issuing the 'amstatus' command. It told me, that the server is still
'waiting for estimate' for one host, all other hosts were in 'estimate
done' state.
And last night I watched my backup running, and the timeout for that
host occured after exactly 1 hour, 15 minutes, and, be surprised, 4
seconds. Don't know, if theses 4 seconds are the same 4 seconds you can
see on your backup, I don't mind, but 1 hour and 15 minutes for sure is
more than 30 minutes, a.k.a. 900 sec times 2 DLEs.

For tonight I changed the etimeout value to -3600, so that the timeout
should occur after one hour. Just to see if this etimeout setting works
at all in my setup.

Aha, did some digging in the source code, and it seems that the
documentation is not really in sync with the code.

The "etimeout" is not multiplied by the number of DLE's for that host
but by the number of estimates that planner will run for that host.

The config that I had my "etimeout" go off after 4*900 seconds for
a 4 DLE host, was configured for archives, doing only full backups
and using "strategy noinc" in the dumptype to avoid estimate runs
for anything but full dumps as well.  So my number of estimates was
equal to the number of DLE's.

A normal run of planner like yours above, runs more estimates (up to
3 per DLE).  And each estimate adds "etimeout" to the total timeout.
So etimeout did work, but 2 DLE's, each running 2 estimates
(probably lvl 0, and lvl N), results in 3600 seconds total timeout.

--
Paul Bijnens, xplanation Technology Services        Tel  +32 16 397.511
* I think I've got the hang of it now:  exit, ^D, ^C, ^\, ^Z, ^Q, ^^, *