Amanda-Users

Re: etimeout ignored?

2007-09-04 11:10:39
Subject: Re: etimeout ignored?
From: Paul Lussier <pll+amanda AT permabit DOT com>
To: Paul Bijnens <Paul.Bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>, amanda List <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2007 11:13:18 -0400

Ralf Auer <Ralf.Auer AT physik.uni-erlangen DOT de> writes:

> a 'amgetconf NewSetup etimeout' returns '900'. So, it seems to be
> configured correctly.

Interesting, I'm running 2.5.1p1-2.1 from Debian packages, and I get:

  $ amgetconf offsite etimeout
  amgetconf: getconf_str: np is not a CONFTYPE_STRING|CONFTYPE_IDENT: 26

I'm not entirely sure what this means.  However, I'm certainly taking
*this* as something bad:

   $ amadmin offsite config| grep -i etimeout
   ETIMEOUT              220000
   $ grep etimeout offsite/amanda.conf
   etimeout 10800          # number of seconds per filesystem for estimates.

So, for some reason, amanda is running with an expectation of 61.11
hours of timeout *per* DLE?  No wonder this is taking forever!

> I came to the conclusion that my server still waits for the estimate
> by issuing the 'amstatus' command. It told me, that the server is
> still 'waiting for estimate' for one host, all other hosts were in
> 'estimate done' state.

Which is exactly what I did.  I also looked at the running processes
(like planner) and straced them to verify they were in a holding
pattern.

> And last night I watched my backup running

I'm still watching mine, it's much like watching the grass grow.
Except, the lawn makes progress and requires me to do something
occassionally :)

>> Another frequent "monday-morning-no-coffee-yet" problem encountered is
>> that you're looking at the wrong config file, or etimeout appears twice
>> in the config file.  Verify with:
>>
>>   amgetconf daily etimeout
>>
>> You can also set etimeout to a negative value, to avoid the
>> multiplication of the number of DLE's by the etimeout value.

I'll try the negative value, but I'm *very* curious to know where
amanda got an etimeout value of 220000?  I've checked my other
timeouts as well, and they're also completely wrong:

  $ grep -i timeout offsite/amanda.conf
  etimeout 10800          # number of seconds per filesystem for estimates.
  dtimeout  1800          # number of idle seconds before a dump is aborted.
  ctimeout    30          # maximum number of seconds that amcheck waits
  $ amadmin offsite config| grep -i timeout
  ETIMEOUT              220000
  DTIMEOUT              193000
  CTIMEOUT              190030

I just did a quick test and set my etimeout in the amanda.conf file to
30.  I then did:

  $ amadmin offsite config| grep -i timeout
  ETIMEOUT              190030
  DTIMEOUT              193000
  CTIMEOUT              190030

Why is amanda adding to the timeout?  And by what algorithm ?  It adds
190000 for thet e/ctimeouts, but 191200 for the dtimeout?  Yet when
etimeout is set to 10800, it adds 209200 ?  These numbers don't seem
like unix time values, either...

Something seems very broken...

I'll be glad to add my entire amanda.conf setup if anyone thinks it's useful.

--
Thanks,
Paul