Amanda-Users

Re: autoflush and amstatus

2007-05-31 03:17:46
Subject: Re: autoflush and amstatus
From: "Marc Muehlfeld" <Marc.Muehlfeld AT medizinische-genetik DOT de>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 08:46:49 +0200 (CEST)
Hi,

James Brown schrieb:
> I have 500GB of data from a single dump to flush that
> barely overflows a single tape.  I'd prefer not to flush and waste all
> that space on the second tape. What I have been doing in these cases is to
> fill the rest of our terabyte holdingdisk, and then flush to two tapes.

You really prefer to save some Dollars/Euros/... and live with the risk of
loosing 500 GB of *allready backuped* data? When the disk is gone, your
"backup" in holding disk is too. Or if the second tape later is
unreadable, you loose a part of the old and the new backup. And maybe then
you loose data of two days if both were on that one tape.

Our decission is: Better to spend some money on extra tapes, than loosing
data of days we could have on tape. The stored data is our business.

Regards
Marc

--
Marc Muehlfeld (Leitung Systemadministration)
Zentrum fuer Humangenetik und Laboratoriumsmedizin Dr. Klein und Dr. Rost