Amanda-Users

Re: autoflush and amstatus

2007-05-30 18:34:38
Subject: Re: autoflush and amstatus
From: Jean-Louis Martineau <martineau AT zmanda DOT com>
To: James Brown <sp0_0ky AT yahoo DOT com>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 18:26:50 -0400
I still don't understand what you want?
You should be a lot more descriptive about your setup how you expect amanda to behave.

How many DLE? total size?

You said you ask only for full dump? how do you configured amanda?
You want a full dump done at which interval? every days? week? ...

autoflush will not change the schedule amanda generate, unless you run amdump more often.

attach you config file and all useful information.

remember, amdump will always ask for estimate of level 0 dump, but it will not necessarily do it.

autoflush do exactly the right things, it will flush what is already on the holding disk and it will dump all dle?
What is strange is why you don't want a backup of all dle?

Jean-Louis

James Brown wrote:
I have 500GB of data from a single dump to flush that
barely overflows a single tape.  I'd prefer not to
flush and waste all that space on the second tape. What I have been doing in these cases is to fill the
rest of our terabyte holdingdisk, and then flush to
two tapes.  It would be nice if the autoflush could
take away a step for me.

BTW, we have reserve set to 0.
JB

--- Jean-Louis Martineau <martineau AT zmanda DOT com> wrote:

Why run amdump if you don't want new dump? Why not
use amflush?

If the answer is: Because amdump only dump a few
dle.
Then you should set the "reserve" to a value below
100.

With reserve==100, amdump record full dump only once
they are put on tape, that's why it retry it.
With reserve < 100, amdump record full dump once
they are on holding disk.

Jean-Louis

James Brown wrote:
--- Jean-Louis Martineau <martineau AT zmanda DOT com>
wrote:
James Brown wrote:
Hi,

After enabling 'autoflush' in amanda.conf, and
starting new amdump, I saw two entries for a
backup
job that was already on holding disk.  One was
waiting
to be flushed, the other was getting estimates.
(I
had to kill the job
since I didn't want to run the 500GB backup
again!).
With autoflush enabled, will Amanda attempt to
run
another backup of the DLE that needs to be
flushed?
Yes, amdump always do a dump of all dle.
autoflush allow amdump to also flush to tape the
dump that are already on holding disk.
autoflush doesn't change what will be dumped.

Jean-Louis
This is a problem for me.  The particular
configuration I am using does FULL backups only.
In this case, I don't need the extra backup and I
can't remove the job from the disklist since
Amanda
won't flush otherwise.

-JB

Park yourself in front of a world of choices in
alternative vehicles. Visit the Yahoo! Auto Green
Center.
http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/

____________________________________________________________________________________Shape Yahoo! in your own image. Join our Network Research Panel today! http://surveylink.yahoo.com/gmrs/yahoo_panel_invite.asp?a=7