Amanda-Users

Re: Is tape spanning documented anywhere?

2006-06-13 10:24:00
Subject: Re: Is tape spanning documented anywhere?
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 10:16:10 -0400
On Tue, Jun 13, 2006 at 02:46:31PM +0200, Toralf Lund wrote:

> Normally I would agree, but I have to back up 3Tb of data organised as
> one single volume. The only "simple" option would be to have one 3Tb
> tape as well, but such a thing isn't available (to me at least.)

Toralf,
perhaps I'm being dense, but why isn't your situation satisfied by
the current tape-spanning.  I'm envisioning something like lto-2
or lto-3 drives and using no holding disk but sufficient buffer
space.  If your data compresses to say 1.6TB with the 400GB lto-3
tapes, a setting of runtapes 5 or 6 will accept an entire level 0
dump with only part of the final tape wasted.  On incremental dumps,
amanda would use only as many tapes as necessary.  Again, only the
final tape would have wasted space.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)