Amanda-Users

Re: Is tape spanning documented anywhere?

2006-06-13 06:18:05
Subject: Re: Is tape spanning documented anywhere?
From: Toralf Lund <toralf AT procaptura DOT com>
To: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 12:10:06 +0200

Yes indeed.  The whole DLE.  A singe DLE still needs to be written
in one run, possibly using many tapes.
Oh no... Like I said, that's a big disappointment. I'm tempted to say that it is not correct to claim that Amanda now suppots tape spanning, if it can't span dumps across tapes written in separate runs.

Shouldn't it be able to delete the corresponding data from the holding disk file as tape-chunks are successfully written - so that only the remaining chunks would be flushed on the next run? Seems like this should be easy enough to implement, especially if you interact with holding disk chunks in a constructive manner. Is there any reason why nobody has looked into this, except for lack of time?
... or maybe what's on the holding disk does not really matter and/or is a separate issue. I suppose the taper already knows how to find a certain tape-chunk within the holding disk data, so it's more a matter of being able to tell it to start writing from a certain chunk (different from 0) during flush. The flush operation would obviously have to find the correct index somewhere in the database. Does it do a lookup at all today, or just blindly tape whatever is on the holding disk?

- Toralf