Amanda-Users

Re: Is tape spanning documented anywhere?

2006-06-13 11:26:36
Subject: Re: Is tape spanning documented anywhere?
From: Toralf Lund <toralf AT procaptura DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 17:20:13 +0200
Jon LaBadie wrote:
On Tue, Jun 13, 2006 at 02:46:31PM +0200, Toralf Lund wrote:
Normally I would agree, but I have to back up 3Tb of data organised as one single volume. The only "simple" option would be to have one 3Tb tape as well, but such a thing isn't available (to me at least.)

Toralf,
perhaps I'm being dense, but why isn't your situation satisfied by
the current tape-spanning.  I'm envisioning something like lto-2
or lto-3 drives and using no holding disk but sufficient buffer
space.  If your data compresses to say 1.6TB with the 400GB lto-3
tapes, a setting of runtapes 5 or 6 will accept an entire level 0
dump with only part of the final tape wasted.
Well, like I just said in another post - maybe I worry to much, but I'm a bit concerned about dumping 5 or 6 tapes during one run and nothing during others, based in timing/system load considerations. It just seems nicer to spread the work as evenly as possibly across runs...

And like I also said, in general, allowing "partial flush" would also address another issue: The one of blocking the entire tape operation when using a holding disk, and getting a dump larger that won't fit on the <runtape> tapes even though it was expected to (either because of miscalculations during the planner phase or because it specifying the tape size seems to be a rather inexact science.)

We're talking about an LTO-2 changer, by the way...

- Toralf