Amanda-Users

Re: Is tape spanning documented anywhere?

2006-06-13 11:45:16
Subject: Re: Is tape spanning documented anywhere?
From: Toralf Lund <toralf AT procaptura DOT com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 17:37:14 +0200
Toralf Lund wrote:
Jon LaBadie wrote:
On Tue, Jun 13, 2006 at 02:46:31PM +0200, Toralf Lund wrote:
Normally I would agree, but I have to back up 3Tb of data organised as one single volume. The only "simple" option would be to have one 3Tb tape as well, but such a thing isn't available (to me at least.)

Toralf,
perhaps I'm being dense, but why isn't your situation satisfied by
the current tape-spanning.  I'm envisioning something like lto-2
or lto-3 drives and using no holding disk but sufficient buffer
space.  If your data compresses to say 1.6TB with the 400GB lto-3
tapes, a setting of runtapes 5 or 6 will accept an entire level 0
dump with only part of the final tape wasted.
Well, like I just said in another post - maybe I worry to much, but I'm a bit concerned about dumping 5 or 6 tapes during one run and nothing during others, based in timing/system load considerations. It just seems nicer to spread the work as evenly as possibly across runs...
Also, I was thinking that I might be able to split up the directory enough to make do with 2 tapes per DLE. With the current tape-spanning and "runtapes 2", the waste of tape would then start getting rather significant - I would waste space on every other tape, rather than just one out of 5 or 6...

But maybe I shouldn't worry too much about extra tape usage, either, since the tapes are a one-time cost with the normal reuse setup. Wasted tapes means slightly more work for the person responsible for changing the tapes, though...

- T