Amanda-Users

Re: Is tape spanning documented anywhere?

2006-06-13 09:36:17
Subject: Re: Is tape spanning documented anywhere?
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: Toralf Lund <toralf AT procaptura DOT com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 09:26:29 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 at 2:46pm, Toralf Lund wrote

Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:

To throw my $.02 in here, the situations would be very different. If one is "forced" to have all DLEs "tapeable" in one amdump run, then (theoretically), nothing will be left on the holding disk to lose should said disk die.

But we're talking about a situation where the DLEs are not "tapeable". The

With tape spanning as implemented, any DLE is tapeable if runtapes is big enough. :)

Maybe it's just me being curmudgeonly (it wouldn't be the first time -- hell, I haven't found a WM I like more than fvwm2) and slavishly adhering to the KISS method. But I think backups *should* adhere to the KISS method.

Normally I would agree, but I have to back up 3Tb of data organised as one single volume. The only "simple" option would be to have one 3Tb tape as well, but such a thing isn't available (to me at least.) Also, I think the whole tape splitting concept is inherently complex, and what I suggest here doesn't change the complexity level. The complexity was introduced already, I'm just talking about a *simple* implementation adjustment...

I agree that it doesn't change the complexity level.  But it does change
the safety level.  Suddenly you're making yourself far more vulnerable to
losing parts of a backup image.

On a practical level, I'm pretty sure that the setup you're proposing would require you to have a 3TB holding disk (or at least 3TB-tapelength) to hold your level 0. Looking at the amanda.conf man page, amanda *can* span tapes without using a holding disk, but doing so requires either a disk buffer (different from a holding disk in that the whole dump image isn't buffered there, just the chunks that have come from the dump disk but haven't made it to tape yet) or buffering the chunks to system RAM. Am I missing something?

I don't know about you, but I'd have a hard time convincing my boss I needed a 2nd 3TB server to backup the first 3TB server. :)

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering