Amanda-Users

Re: Is tape spanning documented anywhere?

2006-06-13 10:14:24
Subject: Re: Is tape spanning documented anywhere?
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 10:05:47 -0400
On Tue, Jun 13, 2006 at 09:35:31AM -0400, Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 at 3:05pm, Paul Bijnens wrote
>
> >On 2006-06-13 12:55, Toralf Lund wrote:
>
> >It could also help the current minor problem that taping starts only
> >when the DLE is completely dumped to holdingdisk.
> >The current implementation also assumes the tape chunks follow
> >sequentially on the tape.  This is not strictly necessary either.
> >
> >Allowing tape-chunks to be interspersed with chunks from other DLE's
> >together with multi-run taping... Wow, that would make Amanda really
> >one of the best free backup programs!
>
> Again, let the curmudgeon step in here.  One of the initial design
> principles of amanda was the ability to get your data off the tapes with
> *no* amanda tools -- mt, dd, and tar or restore were all that was needed.
> Tape spanning as implemented has already broken that, requiring
> amfetchdump to reassemble spanned DLEs...
>
> I think.  I honestly don't know how badly the principle has been broken.
> Can one simply cat the 2 (or more) spanned images together (minus some
> header info perhaps) and get the whole image back?
>
> But I do know that interspersing tape chunks from multiple DLEs would
> absolutely destroy any hopes of getting your data off the tapes without
> amanda's tools *and* record keeping.  With live CDs so prevelant these
> days, keeping copies of the amanda tools around is dead easy.  But,
> IMNSHO, losing the ability to get your data off the tapes if you lose your
> amanda database is unacceptable.

My feelings exactly JLB.

Tape spanning was an important addition.  I was willing to accept
the loss of easy recovery without amanda because of its importance
and because it is optional on a DLE by DLE basis.

Plus I feel, without confirming this, that you could fairly easily
combine the tape splits (should we call them splits vs holding disk
chunks?) using standard tools.

But I would certainly hesitate to go much further and further
complicate standard tool recovery.  That ability saved me twice already.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)