Amanda-Users

Re: Is tape spanning documented anywhere?

2006-06-13 04:10:23
Subject: Re: Is tape spanning documented anywhere?
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Toralf Lund <toralf AT procaptura DOT com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 10:00:28 +0200
On 2006-06-13 09:41, Toralf Lund wrote:

Anyhow, I'd really like to know more about how the spanning actually works. Is it documented anywhere? http://www.amanda.org/docs and FAQ still say that the option does not exist...

Try http://wiki.zmanda.org/index.php/Splitting_dumps_across_tapes
Yes. Thanks. That's quite helpful.

A few questions still remain, though. Like

  1. Does tape splitting in any way affect the scheduling algorithm? I
     mean, what if Amanda wants to dump a certain amount in order to
     reach  the "balanced" dump size, and only much larger DLEs are
     available? Might one of those be scheduled just so that one
     "split" part can be used to fill up the remaining space?

While scheduling/planning Amanda does not take into account any
tape-splitting.   When a DLE is larger than then total amount of
level 0 dumps divided by runspercycle (= the optimal balanced amount
of level 0 dumps to schedule each run) then you have an "unbalanced"
configuration.  Amanda will try to reschedule full dumps (= promoting
the smaller ones sooner) but will never succeed.
The result is that you have even more level 0 dumps in a run than
in a balanced situation, using even more tape.

  2. What happens to the holding disk file after a dump is partially
     written to tape? Will Amanda keep the entire file, or just what
     will be written next time around? And what if the holding disk
     data is split into "chunks"?

Amanda keeps the entire dump, and will be flushed entirely again
on the next amflush or autoflush.

The holdingdisk chunking is completely independant of the tape chunking.

--
Paul Bijnens, xplanation Technology Services        Tel  +32 16 397.511
* I think I've got the hang of it now:  exit, ^D, ^C, ^\, ^Z, ^Q, ^^, *