Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda and localhost definition?

2006-04-12 09:36:10
Subject: Re: Amanda and localhost definition?
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 09:32:50 -0400
On Wednesday 12 April 2006 08:42, stan wrote:
>On Wed, Apr 12, 2006 at 01:42:17PM +0200, Paul Bijnens wrote:
>> On 2006-04-12 12:27, stan wrote:
>> >Again, I've never done that in the past. I've just made ceratin
>> > that the amanda user exists,
>> >and done the build/make install as root. Permissions have alwasy
>> > been fine.
>> >
>> >Having sad that, I'll rebuild the whole thing today using FQDB's,
>> > and building as amanda, then
>> >installing as root.
>>
>> It is not important as who you build  -- root is no problem (but
>> security minded sysadmins avoid doing things as root unless needed).
>> But the "make install" should be done as root.
>>
>> Then subsequently, you should not RUN the program as root (except
>> amrecover, which should be run as root), because when running the
>> first time, Amanda creates some files.  When doing that as root -
>> even only once - those files are owned by root instead of the amanda
>> user and you run into trouble next time.
>
>Right, we are good on that.
>
>> >BTW, speaking of rebuilding amanda, it would be nice if there were
>> > a "make no-overwrite
>> >confgis" option.
>>
>> "make install" does not install, nor overwrite any config file.
>> No need to disable that non-existing feature.
>
>I just foudn that out, to my pleasent suprise.
>
>In any case, I rebuilt uinsg FQDN's, and I still have these problems,
>An amcheck reports:
>
>Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
>--------------------------------
>ERROR: amanda: [Can't open exclude file
>'/opt/amanda/lib/gnutar_exclude_list': No such file or directory]
>ERROR: amanda: [could not access /dumpdisk (/dumpdisk): No such file
> or directory]
>ERROR: amanda: [could not access /data_backups (/data_backups): No
> such file or directory]
>Client check: 44 hosts checked in 9.986 seconds, 3 problems found
>
>(brought to you by Amanda 2.5.0)

These look like legit errors.  Do these locations and file exist?

>but:
>
>amanda@amanda:~$ ls -l /opt/amanda/lib/gnutar_exclude_list
>-rw-r--r--  1 amanda root 0 Mar 31 21:18
> /opt/amanda/lib/gnutar_exclude_list

Wrong ownership maybe?  I use amanda:disk for such things here.
-rw-r--r--  1 amanda disk    27 Jun  2  2005 excludes

>amanda@amanda:~$ ls -ld /dumpdisk
>drwxr-xr-x  3 amanda operator 27 Apr 11 12:27 /dumpdisk
drwxr-xr-x  2 amanda disk 4096 Apr 12 02:56 /dumps

>amanda@amanda:~$ ls -ld /data_backups
>drwxrwxrwx  9 root root 232 Apr 12 02:01 /data_backups
drwxr-xr-x  4 amanda disk 4096 Dec  6  2004 /amandatapes
and every subdir and file in this tree is owned by amanda:disk

I'd be more interested in an ls -lR on the above dir.  But that will be
bulky.

>It helps in diagnosing this problem to remeber that this part was
> working _before_ I messed with /etc/hosts on the Amada machine.
>
>I'm totaly confused at this point in time, what should I do to further
>diagnose this problem?
>
>Oh, and thnks for all the help!

NP, If I can help.

message by Gene Heskett are: