Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda and localhost definition?

2006-04-12 08:50:35
Subject: Re: Amanda and localhost definition?
From: stan <stanb AT panix DOT com>
To: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 08:42:44 -0400
On Wed, Apr 12, 2006 at 01:42:17PM +0200, Paul Bijnens wrote:
> On 2006-04-12 12:27, stan wrote:
> >Again, I've never done that in the past. I've just made ceratin that the
> >amanda user exists,
> >and done the build/make install as root. Permissions have alwasy been fine.
> >
> >Having sad that, I'll rebuild the whole thing today using FQDB's, and
> >building as amanda, then
> >installing as root.
>
> It is not important as who you build  -- root is no problem (but
> security minded sysadmins avoid doing things as root unless needed).
> But the "make install" should be done as root.
>
> Then subsequently, you should not RUN the program as root (except
> amrecover, which should be run as root), because when running the first
> time, Amanda creates some files.  When doing that as root - even only
> once - those files are owned by root instead of the amanda user
> and you run into trouble next time.

Right, we are good on that.

> >BTW, speaking of rebuilding amanda, it would be nice if there were a "make
> >no-overwrite
> >confgis" option.
>
> "make install" does not install, nor overwrite any config file.
> No need to disable that non-existing feature.

I just foudn that out, to my pleasent suprise.

In any case, I rebuilt uinsg FQDN's, and I still have these problems,
An amcheck reports:

Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
--------------------------------
ERROR: amanda: [Can't open exclude file
'/opt/amanda/lib/gnutar_exclude_list': No such file or directory]
ERROR: amanda: [could not access /dumpdisk (/dumpdisk): No such file or
directory]
ERROR: amanda: [could not access /data_backups (/data_backups): No such
file or directory]
Client check: 44 hosts checked in 9.986 seconds, 3 problems found

(brought to you by Amanda 2.5.0)

but:

amanda@amanda:~$ ls -l /opt/amanda/lib/gnutar_exclude_list
-rw-r--r--  1 amanda root 0 Mar 31 21:18 /opt/amanda/lib/gnutar_exclude_list

amanda@amanda:~$ ls -ld /dumpdisk
drwxr-xr-x  3 amanda operator 27 Apr 11 12:27 /dumpdisk

amanda@amanda:~$ ls -ld /data_backups
drwxrwxrwx  9 root root 232 Apr 12 02:01 /data_backups

It helps in diagnosing this problem to remeber that this part was working
_before_ I messed with /etc/hosts on the Amada machine.

I'm totaly confused at this point in time, what should I do to further
diagnose this problem?

Oh, and thnks for all the help!

--
U.S. Encouraged by Vietnam Vote - Officials Cite 83% Turnout Despite Vietcong
Terror