Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda and localhost definition?

2006-04-11 17:10:34
Subject: Re: Amanda and localhost definition?
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 16:46:38 -0400
On Tuesday 11 April 2006 13:23, stan wrote:
> [...]
>> >
>> >170.85.113.24 localhost.localdomain localhost
>> >
>> >At least _I think_ this was what was there. I did not keep a copy,
>> > as I thought I new how to set up a hosts file. Little did I know
>> > :-(
>>
>> 8:{
>>
>> >I really did not pick up on this for quite some time, Finally i
>> > tracing down why email from this machine would not work I noticed
>> > this. So I changed it to:
>> >
>> >127.0.0.1       localhost
>>
>>     address   full_name     alias
>> wrong, s/b 127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
>>
>> >170.85.113.24   amanda amanda.meadwestvaco.com
>>
>> wrong, the alias goes after the full domain name string
>> Also, the 'amanda' needs to be the machines real domain name,
>> matching what you get when you run hostname from the cli.  Also,
>> when posting addresses that do not resolve from the outside, but are
>> exposed, always obfuscate the numerical address for security
>> reasons.
>
>OK, so this should work, right?
>
>127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain localhost
>1XX.XX.113.24   amanda.meadwestvaco.com amanda
>
>> Here is the script I've been using for that for some years now:
>> =====================cut below & paste to your script===========
>> #!/bin/sh
>> # since I'm always forgetting to su amanda...
>> if [ `whoami` != 'amanda' ]; then
>>  echo
>>  echo "!!!!!!!!!!!! Warning !!!!!!!!!!!!"
>>  echo "Amanda needs to be configured and built by the user amanda,"
>>  echo "but must be installed by user root."
>>  echo
>>  exit 1
>> fi
>> make clean
>> rm -f config.status config.cache
>> ./configure --with-user=amanda \
>>  --with-group=disk \
>>  --with-owner=amanda \
>>  --with-gnu-ld \
>>  --prefix=/usr/local \
>>  --with-tapedev="FILE:/amandatapes" \
>>  --with-debugging=/tmp/amanda-dbg/ \
>>  --with-tape-server=coyote.coyote.den \
>>  --with-amandahosts \
>>  --with-configdir=/usr/local/etc/amanda \
>>  --with-config=Daily \
>>  --with-gnutar=/usr/bin/tar
>>
>> make
>> ========paste cut to your script=================
>
>Hmm, here's my build script.
>
>#!/bin/sh
>./configure --with-config=DailyDump \
>--prefix=/opt/amanda --with-index-server=amanda --with-user=amanda \
>--with-group=operator --with-tape-server=amanda --with-debugging \
>--with-tape-device=/dev/nst0 --sbindir=/opt/amanda/sbin \
>--libexecdir=/opt/amanda/libexec --libdir=/opt/amanda/lib \
>--with-configdir=/opt/amanda/etc \
>--with-gnutar-listdir=/opt/amanda/var/gnutar-lists \
>--mandir=/opt/amanda/man  --without-rundump \
>
>Ar you saying that I need to ake teh tape-server and index-server
> arguments FQDN's? I'm wiling to try that, but i'm certain that I've
> used teh short name for my build scripts in the past.

FQDN's or addresses, but see below.

>BTW, hostname returns "amanda", not the FQDN. I geuss I could change
>/etc/hostname to the FQDN if needed.

Yes, 'hostname' should return the FQDN.  Here I don't use a dns server
for local stuff, just the /etc/hosts files on all machines.  And each
FQDN also has a one word alias that works just fine for such things as
disklist entries.  It also works for that script of mine, but I cleaned
that up for public comsumption as its not always going to work for
everyone if they're using a dns & no hosts file.

FWIW my tar isn't that one either, I'm using a locally built 1.15-1
installed in /usr/local/bin, with that line suitably modifed.

message by Gene Heskett are: