Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda and localhost definition?

2006-04-12 12:20:08
Subject: Re: Amanda and localhost definition?
From: stan <stanb AT panix DOT com>
To: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 12:09:18 -0400
On Wed, Apr 12, 2006 at 09:32:50AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Wednesday 12 April 2006 08:42, stan wrote:

> >> It is not important as who you build  -- root is no problem (but
> >> security minded sysadmins avoid doing things as root unless needed).
> >> But the "make install" should be done as root.
> >>
> >> Then subsequently, you should not RUN the program as root (except
> >> amrecover, which should be run as root), because when running the
> >> first time, Amanda creates some files.  When doing that as root -
> >> even only once - those files are owned by root instead of the amanda
> >> user and you run into trouble next time.
> >
> >Right, we are good on that.

> >> "make install" does not install, nor overwrite any config file.
> >> No need to disable that non-existing feature.
> >
> >I just foudn that out, to my pleasent suprise.
> >
> >In any case, I rebuilt uinsg FQDN's, and I still have these problems,
> >An amcheck reports:
> >
> >Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
> >--------------------------------
> >ERROR: amanda: [Can't open exclude file
> >'/opt/amanda/lib/gnutar_exclude_list': No such file or directory]
> >ERROR: amanda: [could not access /dumpdisk (/dumpdisk): No such file
> > or directory]
> >ERROR: amanda: [could not access /data_backups (/data_backups): No
> > such file or directory]
> >Client check: 44 hosts checked in 9.986 seconds, 3 problems found
> >
> >(brought to you by Amanda 2.5.0)
>
> These look like legit errors.  Do these locations and file exist?

yes, see below.

> >but:
> >
> >amanda@amanda:~$ ls -l /opt/amanda/lib/gnutar_exclude_list
> >-rw-r--r--  1 amanda root 0 Mar 31 21:18
> > /opt/amanda/lib/gnutar_exclude_list
>
> Wrong ownership maybe?  I use amanda:disk for such things here.
> -rw-r--r--  1 amanda disk    27 Jun  2  2005 excludes
>
> >amanda@amanda:~$ ls -ld /dumpdisk
> >drwxr-xr-x  3 amanda operator 27 Apr 11 12:27 /dumpdisk
> drwxr-xr-x  2 amanda disk 4096 Apr 12 02:56 /dumps
>
> >amanda@amanda:~$ ls -ld /data_backups
> >drwxrwxrwx  9 root root 232 Apr 12 02:01 /data_backups
> drwxr-xr-x  4 amanda disk 4096 Dec  6  2004 /amandatapes
> and every subdir and file in this tree is owned by amanda:disk
>
> I'd be more interested in an ls -lR on the above dir.  But that will be
> bulky.

oHere's the first part of it: If you _really_ want it, I'll send it off
list:

amanda@amanda:/tmp/amanda$ ls -lR /data_backups | head
/data_backups:
total 2
drwxr-xr-x  29 stan   root 856 Apr  8 21:36 elog_backups
drwxr-xr-x   3 oracle sys   72 Apr 12 02:01 oracle_backups
drwxrwxr-x   3 oracle sys   72 Apr 11 07:47 oracle_backups.previous
drwxr-xr-x  26 amanda root 736 Mar 28 22:14 stan
drwxrwxrwx  24 root   root 680 Apr 11 19:37 tmp

/data_backups/elog_backups:
total 86

--
U.S. Encouraged by Vietnam Vote - Officials Cite 83% Turnout Despite Vietcong
Terror