Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda and localhost definition?

2006-04-12 09:56:59
Subject: Re: Amanda and localhost definition?
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 09:53:37 -0400
On Wed, Apr 12, 2006 at 08:42:44AM -0400, stan wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 12, 2006 at 01:42:17PM +0200, Paul Bijnens wrote:
> > On 2006-04-12 12:27, stan wrote:
> > >Again, I've never done that in the past. I've just made ceratin that the
> > >amanda user exists,
> > >and done the build/make install as root. Permissions have alwasy been fine.
> > >
> > >Having sad that, I'll rebuild the whole thing today using FQDB's, and
> > >building as amanda, then
> > >installing as root.
> >
> > It is not important as who you build  -- root is no problem (but
> > security minded sysadmins avoid doing things as root unless needed).
> > But the "make install" should be done as root.
> >
> > Then subsequently, you should not RUN the program as root (except
> > amrecover, which should be run as root), because when running the first
> > time, Amanda creates some files.  When doing that as root - even only
> > once - those files are owned by root instead of the amanda user
> > and you run into trouble next time.
>
> Right, we are good on that.
> >

> > >BTW, speaking of rebuilding amanda, it would be nice if there were a "make
> > >no-overwrite
> > >confgis" option.
> >
> > "make install" does not install, nor overwrite any config file.
> > No need to disable that non-existing feature.
> >
> I just foudn that out, to my pleasent suprise.
>
> In any case, I rebuilt uinsg FQDN's, and I still have these problems,
> An amcheck reports:

Did your rebuild also involve rerunning "configure"?

If so, before doing the configure, did you run "make distclean"?
The configure program retains some info from run to run so it
doesn't have to redetermine some parameters.  The "distclean"
target gets rid of all cached information.  There is another
target that does it also, but I forget which.  It definitely
is not "clean".

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)