Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda and localhost definition?

2006-04-12 08:35:00
Subject: Re: Amanda and localhost definition?
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 08:31:35 -0400
On Wednesday 12 April 2006 06:27, stan wrote:
>On Wed, Apr 12, 2006 at 12:40:32AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:

>> >OK, I corected my /etc/hosts file as shown above. Now, when I run a
>> > dump it seems to go OK (went to hloding disk, but when it finishes
>> > I expect to find a tape name problem.
>> >
>> >However, on the Amanda server itself / was backed up, but to other
>> > partions in the disklist failed to estimate. and amcheck claims it
>> > can't read the gnutar exclude file. Permissions on all of these
>> > seem OK, and were working before I messed with /etchosts, the
>> > first time.
>> >
>> >Sugestions?
>>
>> You did build amanda as a unpriviledged (uid>500) user, and then
>> become root to install her, followed by a run of ldconfig, also as
>> root?  This sound like a permissions problem, and not doing the
>> above is probably 90% of the permissions problems genesis moment.
>> This unpriviledged user, and I use amanda for that, also needs to be
>> a member of the group 'disk' or possibly 'backup' in order to
>> function nominally.
>
>Again, I've never done that in the past. I've just made ceratin that
> the amanda user exists, and done the build/make install as root.
> Permissions have alwasy been fine.

They should not have been, ever, when doing it that way.

>Having sad that, I'll rebuild the whole thing today using FQDB's, and
> building as amanda, then installing as root.
>
>BTW, speaking of rebuilding amanda, it would be nice if there were a
> "make no-overwrite confgis" option.

It doesn't ever overwrite your existing amanda.conf, nor any other file
in your /config/ directory.

Now if you are refering to the arguments passed to the ./configure
program, thats another story, best carved into a script you execute to
do the ./configure and make steps.  I use one here, it hasn't changed
in over a year now, and I posted it here just in the past week in case
someone needed a template to use as an example.  Because configuration
arguments CAN be forgotten, and WILL be forgotten, the script method is
a serious butt saver and I wouldn't consider doing without it.

>I'll bet you lunch this does not fix my problem though. But it's worth
> a try.

I'm reminded of the lines displayed rather prominantly on the cover of
the manual of what was pretty close to the first *decent* consumer
audio tape recorder marketed in the middle 1950's here in the states,