Amanda-Users

Re: backup just on holding disks makes many level 0

2006-03-15 17:16:57
Subject: Re: backup just on holding disks makes many level 0
From: Thomas Widhalm <widhalmt AT unix.sbg.ac DOT at>
To: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 23:10:15 +0100
Am Mittwoch, 15. März 2006 18:13 schrieb Paul Bijnens:
> On 2006-03-15 17:27, Jon LaBadie wrote:
> > I don't think this is the problem, but I do not see a "record yes"
> > setting.  I wonder if that is needed to ensure amanda knows when
> > the last full dump was done?  It is needed for "dump", but I'm
> > uncertain about gnutar.
>
> I think you hit the nail right on the head.
> For gnutar, amanda uses the /etc/amandates files similar to
> the file /etc/dumpdates used by dump.
> If that file is empty, then amanda thinks it never did a level 0
> dump, and hence does it now.
> However, with "record no" that file is never updated either,
> resulting in always level 0 for those filesystems missing in the
> file.

I ran a "amadmin <config> disklist" right now and here is one example for the
disks I encountered many level 0 backups.

host springfield.edvz.sbg.ac.at:
        interface default
    disk /:
        program "GNUTAR"
        priority 1
        dumpcycle 6
        maxdumps 1
        maxpromoteday 10000
        strategy STANDARD
        compress CLIENT BEST
        comprate 0.50 0.50
        auth BSD
        kencrypt NO
        holdingdisk YES
        record YES
        index YES
        skip-incr NO
        skip-full NO

Maybe you can tell me more with that. As I see, record is set to yes. But what
is "maxpromoteday"? Can I set how many days fulls can be promoted? The mail
reports tell me, that they get promoted.

Regards,
Thomas

> I have to time to try to this out, but I'm interested
> if this theory is correct.

* Thomas Widhalm                             Unix Administrator *
* University of Salzburg                       ITServices (ITS) *
* Systems Management                               Unix Systems *
* Hellbrunnerstr. 34                     5020 Salzburg, Austria *
* widhalmt AT unix.sbg.ac DOT at                     +43/662/8044-6774 *
* gpg: 6265BAE6                                                 *
* http://www.sbg.ac.at/zid/organisation/mitarbeiter/widhalm.htm *