Amanda-Users

Re: backup just on holding disks makes many level 0

2006-03-15 11:31:51
Subject: Re: backup just on holding disks makes many level 0
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 11:27:24 -0500
On Wed, Mar 15, 2006 at 04:08:05PM +0100, Thomas Widhalm wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-03-15 at 09:45 -0500, Jon LaBadie wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 15, 2006 at 01:03:51PM +0100, Thomas Widhalm wrote:
> > >
> > > Here are the 2 parts of the config:
> > >

> > I took the liberty of deleting the comments and unneeded
> > tapetypes/dumptypes.  800 lines dropped to about 50.
> > Hope I did not drop anything significant to the discussion.
>
> So sorry. We had a lot of troubles migrating our other servers from
> legato to data protector, so I missed to clean the files before posting.
> I'm really ver sorry.

The amanda.conf file, as distributed, is heavily overloaded
with commentary and unused definitions.  It seldom is cleaned up.
I was not admonishing your posting, just explaining what I did
in case there were errors in my editing.

> > Amazing how "simple" amanda.conf can become.
> >
> > I put two questions inline.

> > Not sure I understand this set of parameters.
> >
> > runspercycle == 0 causes all level 0 dumps I believe.
> > In that case the "length" of the dumpcycle is immaterial.
> > Each time you run amdump, everything will get full dumps.
>
> runspercycle = 0 means "same as tapecycle" as mentionend
> in another post here.

That was "me" in the other post.  That is not what I wrote.

> If this is not correct (at least the docu says, it is correct)
> than please tell me. I want amanda to know that there is one
> run every day, despite of manual runs after fixing errors.

The docs (and I) said "same as dumpcycle".  How soon I forget
even what I wrote and read.  Must be a sign of senility.  :(
I was thinking dumpcycle == 0 would cause all level 0 dumps.
With your settings it does suggest one run per day.  Sorry.

I know you are not using tape now, but whenever you run
amcheck (you do don't right?) it will complain tapecycle
less than runspercycle.

> > Are you saying you plan to run amdump once each 8 days
> > and that you want only level 0 dumps each run?
> >
> > And further, you will rotate 4 tapes totaling 32 days
> > of backups available?
>
> I removed all tapes from the config. I just save to the holding disk. I
> can live with the daily "tape error", but I want amanda to do less full
> backups.

The general way to reduce full dump frequency is increase dumpcycle.

If that doesn't help then perhaps other factors are coming into play.
For example, amanda will promote a very active DLE thinking so much
has changed the savings of a level 1 aren't worth it, lets just do
another level 0.

Sometimes an activity on your computer will make it seem like things
have changed when they have not.  I believe gnutar relies heavily
on the ctime parameter of unix files.  Some activities affect ctime
and could make it look like the file changes (ex. moving a file).

Other than that I don't see any reason you are not getting higher
number levels on your holding disk.  I certainly do on a new setup
I'm testing but not providing any tapes.

I don't think this is the problem, but I do not see a "record yes"
setting.  I wonder if that is needed to ensure amanda knows when
the last full dump was done?  It is needed for "dump", but I'm
uncertain about gnutar.

> > Is your DEC tapedrive really attached to the null device?
> > Doesn't work very well that way does it?  :))
>
> It is disconnected from the server as it produced some driver problems
> recently. So we switched to backup to the holdingsdisk.

> --

>>> End of included message <<<

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)