Amanda-Users

Re: backup just on holding disks makes many level 0

2006-03-15 09:49:09
Subject: Re: backup just on holding disks makes many level 0
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 09:45:24 -0500
On Wed, Mar 15, 2006 at 01:03:51PM +0100, Thomas Widhalm wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-03-14 at 22:49 +0100, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
> >
> > If that didn't solve your issues you maybe share your config with us.
> > This would help to get the picture.
>
> Here are the 2 parts of the config:

I took the liberty of deleting the comments and unneeded
tapetypes/dumptypes.  800 lines dropped to about 50.
Hope I did not drop anything significant to the discussion.

Amazing how "simple" amanda.conf can become.

I put two questions inline.

|| Here are the 2 parts of the config:
|| first file:
|| =====================
|| mailto "root"
|| dumpuser "amanda"
|| netusage  100000 Kbps
|| maxdumps 1
|| bumpsize 10 Mb
|| bumpdays 1
|| bumpmult 4
|| etimeout 1800
|| runtapes 1
|| reserve 0
|| define tapetype DEC-TZ89 {
||   comment "DEC TZ89 (hardware compression on: Xmn)"
||   length 29414 mbytes
||   filemark 24 kbytes
||   speed 1634 kps
|| }
|| ======================
|| and the other:
|| ======================
|| org "IS"
|| inparallel 1
|| dumpcycle 8
|| runspercycle 0
|| tapecycle 4

Not sure I understand this set of parameters.

runspercycle == 0 causes all level 0 dumps I believe.
In that case the "length" of the dumpcycle is immaterial.
Each time you run amdump, everything will get full dumps.

Are you saying you plan to run amdump once each 8 days
and that you want only level 0 dumps each run?

And further, you will rotate 4 tapes totaling 32 days
of backups available?

|| holdingdisk hd1 {
||     comment "main holding disk for IS"
||     directory "/data/amanda/IS"
||     use -1
||     chunksize 2 Gb
||     }
|| tapedev "/dev/null"
|| tapetype DEC-TZ89

Is your DEC tapedrive really attached to the null device?
Doesn't work very well that way does it?  :))

|| labelstr "^IS[0-9][0-9]*$"
|| infofile "/var/lib/amanda/IS/curinfo"
|| logdir   "/var/lib/amanda/IS"
|| indexdir "/var/lib/amanda/IS/index"
|| includefile "/etc/amanda/amanda-shared.conf"
|| the first file is used by all configs. The second one is one specific
|| config.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)