Amanda-Users

Re: Is my tape drive "shoe shinning" ?

2006-03-15 14:46:57
Subject: Re: Is my tape drive "shoe shinning" ?
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: Guy Dallaire <clepeterd AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 14:43:22 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 at 2:38pm, Guy Dallaire wrote

2006/3/15, Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>:

Yes, they will compete.  taper writes whenever it has complete images to
write -- parallelism is one of the benefits of the holding disk.  That's
why, with faster tape drives, a holding RAID becomes necessary.

Would software RAID be sufficient ? I need stripping I presume ? Al I
have is a standard PC as a server. I don't want to end up with an
expensive tape server, we switched to amanda basically to REDUCE
costs...

Sure, a software RAID0 would do, given sufficient disks (which for LTO2, could well be just 2). Heck, 1 disk *may* be sufficient for LTO2 -- testing will let you know. Stepping up to LTO3, though, definitely requires actually putting thought/$$ into the backup server.

I'd like to point out, though, that that cost really has nothing to do with amanda itself. It's just that these tape drives are *fast*, so feeding 'em ain't as easy as feeding tape drives used to be.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering