Amanda-Users

Re: backup just on holding disks makes many level 0

2006-03-15 12:16:31
Subject: Re: backup just on holding disks makes many level 0
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 18:13:09 +0100
On 2006-03-15 17:27, Jon LaBadie wrote:

I don't think this is the problem, but I do not see a "record yes"
setting.  I wonder if that is needed to ensure amanda knows when
the last full dump was done?  It is needed for "dump", but I'm
uncertain about gnutar.

I think you hit the nail right on the head.
For gnutar, amanda uses the /etc/amandates files similar to
the file /etc/dumpdates used by dump.
If that file is empty, then amanda thinks it never did a level 0
dump, and hence does it now.
However, with "record no" that file is never updated either,
resulting in always level 0 for those filesystems missing in the
file.

I have to time to try to this out, but I'm interested
if this theory is correct.

--
Paul Bijnens, xplanation Technology Services        Tel  +32 16 397.511
* I think I've got the hang of it now:  exit, ^D, ^C, ^\, ^Z, ^Q, ^^, *