Amanda-Users

Re: backup just on holding disks makes many level 0

2006-03-16 08:31:19
Subject: Re: backup just on holding disks makes many level 0
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 08:26:30 -0500
On Thursday 16 March 2006 04:32, Paul Bijnens wrote:
[...]
>The "reserve 30" will Amanda force in doing only 60% of free
> holdingdisk for level 0, and the rest for incrementals.
>
>Note that those 30% is calculated each run again, based on the current
>available space in the holdingdisk: if you start one day with 200
> Gbyte free space, than 60 Gbyte is reserved for incrementals,
> allowing for up to 140 Gbyte of level 0 dumps.  Assuming that Amanda
> did fill those 140 Gbyte with level 0 indeed (and 20 Gbyte
> incrementals), then the next day there is 40 Gbyte free space in the
> holdingdisk.  So amanda reserves 12 Gbyte for the incrementals, and
> again may use 28 Gbyte for full dumps.  And so on.
>
>So I still believe this is not a real solution.
>
>The solution is probably to divide the enormous DLE into smaller,
>manageable pieces.  And use real vtapes instead of dumping to
>holdingdisk with a misconfigured tapedevice.

I'll heartily second this from personal experience here.  Particularly
the advice re breaking that large dle up into managable sized pieces.

Amanda cannot arrive at a truely usable schedule when one dle is 10x the
size of the average.  My biggest dle here is /usr/src at about 14GB,
but its quite compressible, smunching down to about 4GB so it still
fits with some room to wiggle in my vtapes size of about 8GB.  But I do
need to clean house of old kernel trees I guess... :)

message by Gene Heskett are: