Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda and DVD-RAM

2006-01-26 04:23:55
Subject: Re: Amanda and DVD-RAM
From: Geert Uytterhoeven <geert AT linux-m68k DOT org>
To: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 10:07:37 +0100 (CET)
On Wed, 25 Jan 2006, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Tuesday 24 January 2006 13:27, Matthias Andree wrote:
> >The real point is if some voltage surge comes through your power
> > supply unit, it might fry your computer with all of its hardware at
> > the same time, and the separate drive that was in the cupboard might
> > survive.
>
> In that case, it will have to destroy a 1500J wall suppressor that ties
> everything together surgewise, followed by a 1500KVA Belkin ups before

Do not underestimate lightning ;-)

> If in the unlikely event I get something in here blown, then I'd expect
> the damages to the surrounding area, like the rest of this house, will
> be of far greater importance.  One strike that I witnessed a year ago,
> hit the ground wire on top of the pole where my transformer is mounted,

Transformers on poles? Oh the horror!

> I highly recommend such a setup to anyone.  I figure that $60 suppressor
> has paid for itself half a dozen times by now.  And everybody needs a
> ups don't they?

UPS? Yes, we have one at work. But at home?
Probably I'm too spoiled by the reliability of the Belgian power grid...

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                                                Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 -- geert AT linux-m68k
DOT org

                                                            -- Linus Torvalds