Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda and DVD-RAM

2006-01-23 19:50:38
Subject: Re: Amanda and DVD-RAM
From: Ian Turner <ian AT zmanda DOT com>
To: Sebastian Marten <sebi4711 AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 19:47:34 -0500
Sebastian,

On Monday 23 January 2006 08:18 am, Sebastian Marten wrote:
> I have a small fileser at home and I'm looking for a brackup software.
> I found amanda, and i think it can be the right thing for my server.
> But I don't have a taper. I only habe a DVD-Writer with DVD-RAM support.
> Can I packup with amanda on DVD or is this inpossible at the moment?
> I hope, someone can help me.

Amanda does not at present support optical media directly. As others have
pointed out, you can hack around it by writing to disk (using the virtual
tape driver), and then burning those virtual-tape images to CD or DVD.
Another option ,if you have DWD+RW, is to create a read/write UDF filesystem
on the DVD, and tell Amanda to write to it directly. I think you will need to
write a custom changer script to make this work.

The good news is that we are working on native optical media support. No
promises about a release date, but it will be available at some point.

Cheers,

--Ian

--
Wiki for Amanda documentation: http://wiki.zmanda.com/