Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda and DVD-RAM

2006-01-24 09:39:52
Subject: Re: Amanda and DVD-RAM
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 09:31:40 -0500
On Tuesday 24 January 2006 08:44, Graeme Humphries wrote:
>Ian Turner wrote:
>>The good news is that we are working on native optical media support.
>> No promises about a release date, but it will be available at some
>> point.
>
>I am *so* happy to hear that. I need a real backup solution for my
> home server, but I can't personally afford a nice tape changer. ;)
>
>Graeme

Neither can I, Graeme.  So, since big hard drives are almost commodity
items now, I'd get one big (200GB?) enough, install it on the 2nd cable
as slave, eg /dev/hdd, and partition it into 3 pieces.  A swap of a
couple of gigs, a /var of perhaps 10GB and the rest as /amandatapes or
whatever and setup 15 or so virtual tapes on it, and use the FILE:
device.

The swap and /var need to go off the main drive anyway, swap for
performance if its used (rarely here) and /var in case something takes
the main drive read-only, you still have logs to diagnose the problem
with.

Thats what I did, writing some script snippets to do the initial setup
that I could fiddle with, running a config for perhaps a week to get a
feel for how much space it would need over the long haul, finally
settling of a vtape size of about 8GB, with 20 vtapes & a 4 day
dumpcycle.  After 18 months the utilization according to df seems to
have stabilized in the mid 80% range, so I haven't adjusted anything in
quite a while now.

In the grand scheme of things, this is a one time per hd failure
expense, whereas using re-recordable dvd's still needs to have spares
for the disk failures which seems to be in the 10% per re-write range,
plus the average life of a burner seems to be somewhere in the 300-500
disks burnt range.   The only advantage I can see to dvd's is that its
possible to do offsite storage.  If thats important (its not to me, I'm
not commercial, just a retired old f--t home user on SS)

My only expense so far was the drive itself.  And its worked literally
10 times or more dependably that my previous tape changer setups ever
did.  The usual errors logged have to do with backing up the dirs where
the mail files live as all that also runs 24/7 here.  So they are of
course a never mind (file changed while being read) error.

YMMV of course.

message by Gene Heskett are: