Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda and DVD-RAM

2006-01-24 09:52:38
Subject: Re: Amanda and DVD-RAM
From: Graeme Humphries <graeme.humphries AT vcom DOT com>
To: gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 08:45:04 -0600
Gene Heskett wrote:

In the grand scheme of things, this is a one time per hd failure expense, whereas using re-recordable dvd's still needs to have spares for the disk failures which seems to be in the 10% per re-write range, plus the average life of a burner seems to be somewhere in the 300-500 disks burnt range. The only advantage I can see to dvd's is that its possible to do offsite storage. If thats important (its not to me, I'm not commercial, just a retired old f--t home user on SS)
Well, also the initial costs for DVDs are much less, which is where they appeal to me. I can do weekly backups on DVDs, and *including* the cost of the burner it won't approach the cost of a single hard drive for many months. It's a little easier for my budget to digest, is all. ;)