Amanda-Users

Re: Problems with chg-scsi

2006-01-25 18:20:26
Subject: Re: Problems with chg-scsi
From: eric AT cirr DOT com (Eric Schnoebelen)
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 17:08:52 -0600
Jon LaBadie writes:
- On Wed, Jan 25, 2006 at 01:22:52PM -0600, Eric Schnoebelen wrote:
- >     Of course, the main reason I use it is that I did some
- > of the original work for what became chg-scsi. (of course, it's
- > diverged greatly from what I wrote, but..)
-
- Might I ask, what prompted you to write a compiled program that
- accessed the scsi calls directly when all the other changer programs
- are scripts using other command line tools to manipulate the changer?
- No criticism implied, just curious about the historical rationale.

        Well, at the time (I think, 1998, maybe as early as 1996)
there weren't many/any script based changer controllers out there.
seagate-changer was included as an example, and did better than
80% of what I needed at the time.

        Since then, someone on the amanda team heavily revised
the code to support more changer interfaces (something I had
started, but they extensively updated and modified the
architecture I had implemented.)  I get the impression that the
person who did a lot of those changes has since disappeared.

--
Eric Schnoebelen                eric AT cirr DOT com
http://www.cirr.com