Amanda-Users

Re: Problems with chg-scsi

2006-01-18 19:07:17
Subject: Re: Problems with chg-scsi
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 18:50:06 -0500
On Wednesday 18 January 2006 13:47, Ian Turner wrote:
>Hello,
>
>Is anyone out there using chg-scsi instead of chg-mtx or chg-zd-mtx?
> If so, can you tell me why? I've been testing it quite a bit, but
> there seem to be a large number of problems -- the code is ridden
> with bad device references, fixed buffer overflows, and the like. I'm
> more than happy to fix it, but only if someone can articulate why we
> have chg-scsi at all.

I did use it for a while, but like you, I had problems, primarily
control, as in it did not seem to ever issue a rewind, which meant if
you did am amcheck, and it advanced the changer and found the tape, it
left the tape sitting after the header, so when amdump went to check,
it wasn't an amanda tape since neither one was able to rewind the tape,
but only run the changer mechanism.  And of course, when amcheck did
it, and found the tape, then amdump couldn't, and amcheck couldn't
because in recycling the magazine, it never made it back to the right
slot unless amcheck was run twice.  The end result was that I had to
wrap the amcheck script in a shell script that rewound the tape before
the amcheck, and again after it so amdump could find the right label.
Now, if amdump did find the right label, it would rewind it and rewrite
it with the new date.  That part worked fine.  But neither one could do
an initial rewind at the time I was fighting with it.

So yes, chg-scsi has issues.  I'm now using the FILE: device, works
great.

As for buffer issues, I didn't see anything in about 4-5 years that
would make me think there was a problem in that area.  Long enough to
wear out 5 of those Seagate 4586n DDS2 changers.

>Let me know.
>
>Cheers,
>
>--Ian

My $0.02 Ian...