Amanda-Users

Re: Problems with chg-scsi

2006-01-25 18:20:26
Subject: Re: Problems with chg-scsi
From: eric AT cirr DOT com (Eric Schnoebelen)
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 17:11:46 -0600
Ian Turner writes:
- On Wednesday 25 January 2006 02:22 pm, Eric Schnoebelen wrote:
- >     NetBSD and FreeBSD do have very functional changer management
- > command line tools and system call interfaces, and both the
- > command line and system call interfaces are very stable.
-
- MTX works on all the BSDs, as far as I know. I guess you need to
- use the ports system to install it? What is the native changer
- management tool?

        The native changer management tool is chio(1).

        I don't know if mtx is available in NetBSD as part of
pkgsrc, I've never had the desire to go looking.

        I did take a quick look at chg-mtx, and to be honest,
I'm not sure it would be able to manage my 80 and 120 tape
robots. There are some interesting assumptions coded into it.

        Using chg-scsi, after a small amount of configuration
via a configuration file, all seems to work for me.  I find that
to be better than having to modify chg-mtx for use on my system,
and then risking loosing those changes when I upgrade the system
later.

--
Eric Schnoebelen                eric AT cirr DOT com
http://www.cirr.com