Amanda-Users

Re: Problems with chg-scsi

2006-01-25 16:04:10
Subject: Re: Problems with chg-scsi
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 15:52:13 -0500
On Wed, Jan 25, 2006 at 01:22:52PM -0600, Eric Schnoebelen wrote:

> Jon LaBadie writes:
> - On Thu, Jan 19, 2006 at 06:58:11AM -0500, Scott R. Burns wrote:
> - > NetBSD/i386 is my platform (think of it as FreeBSD only better :-)).
> -
> - Just an observation;
> - nearly all who responded to Ian query saying they still use chg-scsi
> - and who mentioned their OS, indicated it was one of the BSD variants.
> -
> - Is there something about the BSD environment that encourages
> - the use of chg-scsi vs. the other changer scripts?
> - Maybe no or difficult port of mtx?
>
>       mtx isn't part of the base system, at least with NetBSD
> and FreeBSD.
>
>       NetBSD and FreeBSD do have very functional changer management
> command line tools and system call interfaces, and both the
> command line and system call interfaces are very stable.
>
>       Of course, the main reason I use it is that I did some
> of the original work for what became chg-scsi. (of course, it's
> diverged greatly from what I wrote, but..)

Might I ask, what prompted you to write a compiled program that
accessed the scsi calls directly when all the other changer programs
are scripts using other command line tools to manipulate the changer?
No criticism implied, just curious about the historical rationale.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)