Amanda-Users

Re: Problems with chg-scsi

2006-01-18 23:06:27
Subject: Re: Problems with chg-scsi
From: eric AT cirr DOT com (Eric Schnoebelen)
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 21:45:59 -0600
Gene Heskett writes:
- On Wednesday 18 January 2006 13:47, Ian Turner wrote:
- >Is anyone out there using chg-scsi instead of chg-mtx or chg-zd-mtx?
- > If so, can you tell me why?

        Well, I'm probably using it because I helped do the
initial development a long, long time ago.

        That said, for the 2.4 tree, I've been maintaining a
couple of local patches that allow chg-scsi to work better in my
environment, as well as catch a number of the more obvious
defects in the released code.

        I've submitted the patches before, but it seems they've
never been integrated. :(

        Here are the notes I have at the top of the sources:

# Commentary:
#   The vast majority of the changes in this patch are to add support/fix
#    for the Exabyte EXB-8505 and EXB-8900 8MM tape drives, when attached
#    to NetBSD, and within an EXB-4[48]0 robot.
#   A smaller number of the changes are add support for the EXB-4[48]0
#    SCSI robots.
#   Additional changes to support the HP/Compaq SureStore C5151-2000
#    DLT robot.
#   A number of segmentation violations were also removed.
#   SCSI_LoadUnload was recoded to use a private structure, to make
#    sure the correct bitfields were set.
#   Finally, a new function was added to set/clear the
#    Prevent/Allow Medium Removal flag.
#   The remainder of the changes are to improve the debug-ability of
#    the program, and the quality of the debug log
#
--- changer-src/scsi-changer-driver.c.orig      Tue Feb 27 17:10:39 2001
+++ changer-src/scsi-changer-driver.c

# Commentary:
#   Re-ordered the opening of the `scsitapedev' control device.  It is
#    opened before the `dev' device. The failure to open `dev' was made
#    non-fatal, as chg-scsi doesn't realy use `dev' for anything.
#   The reasoning for the reordering is that on NetBSD, /dev/nrstX
#    returns ENODEV on a tape device when the device does not have
#    the medium ready.  /dev/enrstX has no such restrictions, and makes
#    an excellent `scsitapedev'
#
--- changer-src/chg-scsi.c.orig Tue Oct 24 18:49:39 2000
+++ changer-src/chg-scsi.c      Sat Feb 17 22:32:27 2001

- I did use it for a while, but like you, I had problems, primarily
- control, as in it did not seem to ever issue a rewind, [...]

- As for buffer issues, I didn't see anything in about 4-5 years that
- would make me think there was a problem in that area.  Long enough to
- wear out 5 of those Seagate 4586n DDS2 changers.

        Thats interesting, as I wore out at least two of those
changers using chg-scsi on NetBSD and FreeBSD hosts.  Rewind
worked just fine for me.. (note, the last one of those went out
of service for me in 2001, although they're still sitting in the
garage awaiting a good use..)

        Hmm, looking at the first of the patches above, I see
that I did have to change a call to GenericRewind to the device
specify rewind in Tape_Ready(). And I also see changes to
GenericRewind();

--
Eric Schnoebelen                eric AT cirr DOT com
http://www.cirr.com