Amanda-Users

Re: Problems with chg-scsi

2006-01-25 14:33:20
Subject: Re: Problems with chg-scsi
From: eric AT cirr DOT com (Eric Schnoebelen)
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 13:22:52 -0600
Jon LaBadie writes:
- On Thu, Jan 19, 2006 at 06:58:11AM -0500, Scott R. Burns wrote:
- > NetBSD/i386 is my platform (think of it as FreeBSD only better :-)).
-
- Just an observation;
- nearly all who responded to Ian query saying they still use chg-scsi
- and who mentioned their OS, indicated it was one of the BSD variants.
-
- Is there something about the BSD environment that encourages
- the use of chg-scsi vs. the other changer scripts?
- Maybe no or difficult port of mtx?

        mtx isn't part of the base system, at least with NetBSD
and FreeBSD.

        NetBSD and FreeBSD do have very functional changer management
command line tools and system call interfaces, and both the
command line and system call interfaces are very stable.

        Of course, the main reason I use it is that I did some
of the original work for what became chg-scsi. (of course, it's
diverged greatly from what I wrote, but..)

--
Eric Schnoebelen                eric AT cirr DOT com
http://www.cirr.com