Amanda-Users

Re: Using amrecover - strange happenings

2005-09-30 05:59:02
Subject: Re: Using amrecover - strange happenings
From: Alexander Jolk <alexj AT buf DOT com>
To: Steve H <big_dog_steve AT yahoo DOT com>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 11:55:32 +0200
Steve H wrote:
   This time, I put the necessary tape in, and run amrecover and it will only
restore the directories.  The files will not restore, and I keep getting the
error:

./laptopBackups/Documents and Settings/My Documents/
tar: Unexpected EOF in archive
extract_list - child returned non-zero status: 2
Continue [?/Y/n]?

`Unexpected EOF' means that your file hasn't been read correctly. Either you've got hardware problems, or a corrupt file on tape, or something changed your tape from under your nose (that one has hit me often when amcheck kicked in during my restore).

As others have suggested, amrestore or, in a pinch, dd would give more information. This error message does not really match with the problems we would expect for a tar version incompatibility, but you never know.

And as I said in my other mail, getting the directories well before the actual files is completely normal for a tar ball. If you can get to the rest of the file, your files will most probably be there.

BTW, check the syslog for SCSI errors, just in case. What platform are you on, you said? (OS, tape format?)

Alex

--
Alexander Jolk  * BUF Compagnie * alexj AT buf DOT com
Tel +33-1 42 68 18 28  *  Fax +33-1 42 68 18 29