Amanda-Users

Re: Symbolic links

2005-09-27 20:49:17
Subject: Re: Symbolic links
From: "Jerome Pioux" <jerome.pioux AT bull DOT com>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 17:46:03 -0700
Frank, thank you for your explanation.

I didn't loose any data, what the links pointed to were backed up in other DLE as you mentionned and were successfuly restored.

However, if it was only a couple links like /usr/local pointing to /opt/local as you mentionned in your example, I could recreate them easily... But when you have applications or users that use links everywhere, well this is another story :-(

I guess I was hoping that, somehow??? even without following the link itself, Amanda or Gnutar would be able to store where it was pointing to?...

So, if I understand you correctly, there is NO WAY using Amanda/Gnu Tar to get those links to point back to what they were poiting at - if correct, what about dump, would this solve this problem?

Jerome

----- Original Message ----- From: "Frank Smith" <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>