Amanda-Users

Re: Symbolic links

2005-09-28 01:06:44
Subject: Re: Symbolic links
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 01:00:44 -0400
On Tue, Sep 27, 2005 at 11:43:36PM -0500, Frank Smith wrote:
> --On Tuesday, September 27, 2005 21:21:15 -0700 Jerome Pioux <jerome.pioux AT
> bull DOT com> wrote:
>
> > Hum, I may just tried that but your non-recommendation is noted :)
> >
> > I am also kind of surprised that noone had the same issue before?
>
> I suspect Jon may have misread your question the way I initially did; that
> you wanted tar
> to follow the links and backup the target instead of what it normally does
> (recording the
> existence of the link).

I wasn't sure what was the situation.  You are correct that I was replying
about how to foil amanda/gnutar into saving the target of the link rather
than the link itself.  Again though, I do not recommend that be done.  One
simple example, suppose a user makes a symbolic link to the "/" directory.
Do you really want to try to back up the entire system in this one DLE?

One item in the original post that I should have commented upon.
A symbolic link should not be zero (0) bytes in size.  It should
have a real piece of data stored on the disk, the name (pathname)
of the target.  So a symbolic link to "../foobar" should have a
size of 9.  If you are recovering symlinks with size 0 I would
check the bug info for your version 15.1 gnutar.

jl
 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)