Amanda-Users

Re: Symbolic links

2005-09-28 13:30:08
Subject: Re: Symbolic links
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 13:26:51 -0400
On Wed, Sep 28, 2005 at 09:28:54AM -0700, Jerome Pioux wrote:
> Frank, Jon

> >or possibly an OS that refuses to create a link to a non-existent target
>
> Well, you may have pointed out the real problem above.
>
> The way the restore went, filesystems with links may have been restored
> first and pointing, at the time, to non exiting targets (btw: the os was
> AIX53). To make the matter worse, I can see now that most of the links are
> also
> links to other locations. Now I bet that the explanation above is the right
> one !
>
> I will run a few tests with amanda to verify the theory and base on the
> results,
> will probably be doing some changes in the order we restore things from now
> on...

I've not run across a system that did not allow symlinks to be created
to non-existing entries.  So I peeked at IBM's website for aix53 docs.
According to the ln(1) manpage:

   "The source file does not need to exist
    before creating the symbolic link."

Looking at lower levels, at the link(3) and symlink(3) manpages,
I see nothing contrary to that statement.

I'd be more inclined to suspect problems with gnutar.  As one emperical
test, get/build a copy of 1.13.25 rather than 1.15.1.  See if that version,
which many amanda sites use, acts differently.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)