Amanda-Users

Re: Symbolic links

2005-09-27 22:48:17
Subject: Re: Symbolic links
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 22:39:55 -0400
On Tue, Sep 27, 2005 at 05:46:03PM -0700, Jerome Pioux wrote:
> Frank, thank you for your explanation.
>
> I didn't loose any data, what the links pointed to were backed up in other
> DLE as you mentionned and were successfuly restored.
>
> However, if it was only a couple links like /usr/local pointing to
> /opt/local as you mentionned in your example, I could recreate them
> easily... But when you have applications or users that use links
> everywhere, well this is another story :-(
>
> I guess I was hoping that, somehow??? even without following the link
> itself, Amanda or Gnutar would be able to store where it was pointing to?...

I don't recommend it, ... but

Have amanda use a gnutar wrapper, not gnutar itself.
In the wrapper either add or delete (I don't know which)
the option which causes gnutar to follow or not follow links
(-h or --dereference)

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)