Amanda-Users

Re: lvm and amanda?

2005-06-20 11:04:11
Subject: Re: lvm and amanda?
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Oscar Ricardo Silva <osilva AT scuff.cc.utexas DOT edu>, Amanda Users List <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 16:56:42 +0200
Oscar Ricardo Silva wrote:
At 05:02 AM 6/18/2005, you wrote:

Oscar Ricardo Silva wrote:

drwxr-xr-x  2 root root 100 Jun  6 03:58 /dev/mapper
brw-r-----  1 root disk 253,  0 Jun  6 03:58 VolGroup00-LogVol00

Maybe I did not sleep very well, or I am missing something obvious
or did not drink enough coffee, but I guess adding amanda to the disk
group would solve it.  And if disk is not the primary group of amanda
you need to add "groups = yes" in the xinetd conf for amandad too.

Bad cut and paste on my part. These are the permissions after we manually assign the group "disk" to the device and amanda is already part of the disk group.

Yes, I already found this out, when back in the office, and had a cup
of coffee too, and looked at the permissions of my logical volumes..
(I use gnutar to backup, and do not suffer from this bug.)

The good news is that Redhat just fixed this very recently.
in device-mapper-1.01.01-1.RHEL4, which you can install by up2date
or "yum update device-mapper".

https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHEA-2005-188.html  says:

> [...]
> - The inodes created in the /dev/mapper directory when devices are
> activated are now accessible by the 'disk' group used by some
> backup tools.

* init 0, kill -9 1, Alt-F4, Ctrl-Alt-Del, AltGr-NumLock, Stop-A, ... *