Amanda-Users

Re: many dumps in parallel

2005-06-20 11:02:48
Subject: Re: many dumps in parallel
From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <sgw AT amanda DOT org>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 16:54:29 +0200
Jon LaBadie wrote:

>>"maxdumps" limits the number of dumper processes per DLE, while
>>"inparallel" limits the overall number of dumper processes running in
>>parallel.
>
> Is that dumper procs per DLE?  Or per host?
> Seems to me that any DLE should only have one dumper assigned.

dumper-procs per client, yes.

> I also wonder about the section of amanda(1) that says:
>
>     Note that this parameter may also be set in a  specific
>     dumptype  (see below).  This value sets the default for
>     all dumptypes so must appear in amanda.conf before  any
>     dumptypes are defined.
>
> As the poster is defining it inside a dumptype (not the first),
> perhaps the default is taking effect rather than his "global"
> definition.

I interpret server-src/config.c in that way that the parameter
"maxdumps" may be used in a "global" way as well as inside a
dumptype-definition.

If used in a global way it has to appear before the dumptypes, it then
sets the default value for all following dumptypes, except for the ones
with a "local" setting of maxdumps.

I have tested this right now, after a quick look at the code, it works
this way.

Greets,
Stefan.