Amanda-Users

Re: lvm and amanda?

2005-06-17 18:44:29
Subject: Re: lvm and amanda?
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: Oscar Ricardo Silva <osilva AT scuff.cc.utexas DOT edu>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 17:36:21 -0500
--On Friday, June 17, 2005 17:04:20 -0500 Oscar Ricardo Silva <osilva AT
scuff.cc.utexas DOT edu> wrote:

> I know this isn't necessarily an amanda question, but I have a user who's
> setup two RedHat Enterprise 4 machines and used lvm.  Unfortunately, the
> devices:
>
> /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00
>
> has permissions:
>

> drwxr-xr-x  2 root root 100 Jun  6 03:58 /dev/mapper
>
> brw-r-----  1 root disk 253,  0 Jun  6 03:58 VolGroup00-LogVol00
>

> and so amanda can't read these devices for backup.
>

> We tried manually setting the groups to disk but on reboot the permissions
> get reset.   We tried editing  /etc/lvm/lvm.conf  with a umask of  002  and
> setting the group "disk" on the directory on   /dev/mapper  but that didn't
> stick on reboot.  Any
> thoughts on a permanent solution on setting permissions on these dynamically
> generated devices?

A workaround would be to use tar for your backups, either permanently or just
until
you figure out where the ownerships/permissions get set in RedHat's LVM.

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                      fsmith AT hoovers DOT com
Sr. Systems Administrator                       Voice: 512-374-4673