Amanda-Users

Re: Debugging lufs vtape and amanda flushing-throtle for amanda

2005-05-24 19:56:05
Subject: Re: Debugging lufs vtape and amanda flushing-throtle for amanda
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 19:46:47 -0400
On Tue, May 24, 2005 at 11:53:57PM +0200, Vlad Popa wrote:
> Hello Jon !
>
> Jon LaBadie schrieb:
>
> >On Mon, May 23, 2005 at 12:05:21PM +0200, Vlad Popa wrote:
>
> >I'll ask Paul's question slightly differently.
> >How can you WANT to run any slower (see below).
> >

> >>DUMP SUMMARY:
> >>                                   DUMPER STATS            TAPER STATS
> >>HOSTNAME     DISK        L ORIG-kB OUT-kB COMP% MMM:SS  KB/s MMM:SS  KB/s
> >>-------------------------- --------------------------------- ------------
> >>h50234       /etc        0    2440   2440   --    0:03 930.1   9:26   4.3
> >>

> >This was your biggest, and speediest successful taping.
> >It only ran at 4300 bytes/sec
> >Something is seriously wrong with your network connection to your vtape.
> >I strongly urge you to fix your network connection rather than continue
> >to try to get amanda (or any application) to work with a broken network.
> >

> You are absolutely right Jon, but I cannot tweak more the lufs.

I was thinking more of the hardware end of the setup.  There have been
frequent mentions of poor network performance when a switch and host
are not configured correctly.  Sometimes depending on the auto-config
feature of the switch or host does not give the best connection.

> I have tested native ftp transfers to this host (beside lufs) which were
> at about 4.3 mb per sec ("ftp  hostname"  and then "put  file ..") for
> several files differring significantly in their size. The rate did not
> fall below 4 megs per sec.

Just an interesting observation, amanda sees 4.3 kb/sec, you got 4.3 mb/sec
for ftp transfers.

No other way to access that remote disk than still beta lufs and ftp?

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)