Amanda-Users

Re: Debugging lufs vtape and amanda flushing-throtle for amanda

2005-05-22 19:54:46
Subject: Re: Debugging lufs vtape and amanda flushing-throtle for amanda
From: Vlad Popa <vlad.popa AT sbg.ac DOT at>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 01:27:05 +0200
Jon LaBadie schrieb:

On Sun, May 22, 2005 at 04:27:25PM +0200, Vlad Popa wrote:
Hi !

As you all veterans of the list know I am using the vtape file-to-disk tape driver and a ftp share mounted as file system by lufs. I am using the chg-disk virtual changer.

Good to mention in new threads as my little gray cells don't retain much.

tapesize is enough, even so is the holding disk. The backup gets completely dumped to the holding disk but some parts of the DLE are omitted because of timeouts and a temporary very sluggish ftp access. (I'll include the amreport below .)

My question is:
Are there any possibilities to advise amanda to retry flushing (to the same tape ..) (as when I start flushing by hand next day I get the

Same tape, partially successful, absolutely not.
Same tape where nothing got on to it, manipulate the tapelist
manually, or maybe with amadmin.

report it succeeds more than most of the time) ? I have doubled the timeout parameter given in the example amanda.conf without a consequence . I do assume, that my ftp connection transfer rate at 1st is fast and the ETA amanda gets is wrong because the transfer rate drops during the data flush ( might be a ftp characteristic "start with maximum availlable and throttle down to a reasonable rate"). Amanda times out (@ Jon, you were right !)

Does a speed parameter set in amanda.conf (to 50 Kbytes ) have affect on the data transfer rate when using tape-type Hard-disk or will it be ignored ? My last manual amflush transfer report showed me " ... Avg Tp Write Rate ( k/s) 67.8 121.0 66.4 ..." (prev. and last lines omitted) and was successfull.

To the best of my knowledge, the timeouts and network usage only deal
with dumping, not taping/flushing.  The tape speed in the tapetype
stanza is information the admin might have gotten from amtapetype,
but is not used by amanda.

So how can I say "Not so fast, Mrs. Amanda !" when taping ?

Greetings

Vlad